We will begin reviewing applications on April 18, 2022
The Art Gallery of York University (AGYU) is seeking an enthusiastic and creative individual with a strong knowledge of contemporary visual art for the Young Canada Works Summer Registrar Assistant position from May 2 through August 19, 2022. This full-time position (35hrs/week) are remunerated at $22/hour.
The candidate will be undergraduate or graduate students from an arts-related field (art history, visual arts, museum studies, cultural studies, communications, or related discipline) with excellent verbal and written communications skills in English. Research and organisational skills, including various computer applications, will be required.
Working with gallery staff, the candidate will undertake and implement a range of activities relating to the functioning of a contemporary gallery, including duties related to the maintenance, management, and care of our permanent collection of art. The candidate will gain invaluable professional experience in database management, art collections management, and an understanding of a public art gallery.
Key tasks include itemizing pieces from the collection, reviewing the condition of the works and photographing the work in situ. In addition, research into numerous pieces in the collection will be required, writing up descriptions to be used in the online collections database.
PLEASE NOTE: We expect this to be an on-site position. Should pandemic-related restrictions require, the position will be adjusted to accommodate a work-from-home situation.
Application packages should include an application letter and a current CV. The cover letter should address why you wish to work for a contemporary art gallery. All applicants must qualify for the YCW in Heritage Organizations program (see below for necessary qualifications). Applications that do not include cover letter will not be considered. Digital applications (a single PDF) preferred.
Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with sibject line “YCW Search Committee.” We are accepting applications until the position is filled; please apply as soon as possible to be considered for this opportunity.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) during the Young Canada Works (YCW) work assignment;
- have been a full-time high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW work assignment;
- intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW work assignment; and
- be registered for the YCW program (see http://young-canada-works.canada.ca/)