Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage Position
The Art Gallery of York University is seeking an enthusiastic and creative individual with a strong knowledge of contemporary visual art for the position of AGYU Communications Assistant from September 5, 2022, through March 31, 2023 (not including December 19, 2022, through January 6, 2023).
This full-time position (35hrs/week) is remunerated at $22/hour.
The main objective of the position is to assist in developing and maintaining the gallery’s communications and marketing. This position engages all aspects of the art gallery’s activities from exhibitions to publications. At an institutional level, the AGYU Communications Assistant will gain skills including research, writing, graphic design, website management, database management, and public relations. This position will also cover the planning and implementation of a communications campaign as the AGYU transtions into the GGYU (Joan and Martin Goldfarb Gallery of York University).
The Assistant will work directly with AGYU staff. This is an opportunity for anyone interested in gaining hands-on experience in contemporary art institutional practices and the processes, protocols, and best practices related to the development, management, and implementation of communications in a non-for-profit arts organization. The skills and knowledge obtained will greatly increase the assistants’ marketability in the non-profit sector in general, providing particular skills in writing press releases, designing ads, developing databases, and audience out-reach; it will give the successful YCW’s applicant knowledge of contemporary art, working closely with gallery staff to contextualize artwork for media and audiences; the AGYU Communications Assistant will also gain art-writing skills and knowledge in designing and maintaining a website.
Application packages should include an application letter and a current CV. The cover letter should address why you wish to work for a contemporary art gallery. All applicants must qualify for the Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage program (see below for necessary qualifications). Applications that do not include cover letter will not be considered. Digital applications (a single PDF) preferred.
Email applications to email@example.com with subject line “YCW Search Committee.” We are accepting applications until August 12, 2022.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- be unemployed or underemployed when applying to the position;
- be a college or university graduate;
- not be receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program; and
- be registered for the YCW program (see http://young-canada-works.canada.ca/).